In 1851 the Chapel Steward was
He recorded an evening attendance of 62 for the
1851 census. This was a special religious census which took place
on Sunday 30th March 1851. Overall attendance in Pickering
revealed 35.3% Church of England, 32.6% Wesleyan, 26.4% Primitive
Methodist with a very small Roman Catholic presence. About a
third of the population attended church on the census day.
The Chapel was rebuilt in 1879. In 1892 it underwent
considerable alterations raising the roof and walls by 3'-6", the
services were held in the granary at Bridge House (farm) during
the renovation. The 'schoolroom' was added around 1885 to
the west of the main building primarily as a Sunday school for
local children, known as the
Further renovations were made in the 1930's and reopened by
Phyllis Wood in 1934.