Normanby Directories

Home St Andrews Church Parish History Projects Genealogy Photographs News-&-Contacts

 

 

Normanby Directories

 

1905          1921          1931

 

1823

NORMANBY,  (p.) in the wap, of Ryedale: 5 miles S.S.E., of Kirby-Moor-Side.

Population: 191

Church is in the patronage of: Arthur Cayley esq.  Rector:  Rev. Arthur Cayley M.A.

Schoolmaster:  Robert Bean;  Shopkeeper:  James Hill;  Blacksmith:  Robert Huddlestone.

Farmers:  Thomas Surr;  George Thompson

.

.

1840

NORMANBY, a village and township, in the dale of the small river Seven, 5miles S.S.E. of Kirby Moorside, 2020 acres of land, belonging to various owners, but Thomas Walker Esq. is lord of the manor. Here is a sulphurous spa, which yields 60 gallons per minute. The parish includes also Thornton Riseborough. The Church is a small ancient structure, and is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £9-12s. -6d and now at £509. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for a yearly modus of £475. The School is endowed with £6 year, left by Lady Judith Boynton, for the education of five free scholars.

Population: 219

Church is in the patronage of: Richard Hill esq.;  Rector: Rev. Arthur Cayley M.A.  Curate: Rev. Rd. Horsfall

Schoolroom:  John Featherstone.  Shopkeeper:  James Hill.  Smith:  Robert Huddlestone.

Farmers:  Jas. Craven;  Rd. Jackson;  John Mercer;  Wm. Lealman;  Robert Skelton;  John Smith;  Thomas Stamper

Gardener:  Rd. Agar;  Parish Clerk:  Rt. Davison;  Vict. Sun:  Jas. Hill;  Butcher:  Wm. Monkman

.

.

1857

NORMANBY, a village and township, in the dale of the small river Seven, 5miles S.S.E. of Kirby Moorside.

Population:....

Rector:  Rev James Hill B.A.;  School:....................;  Shopkeeper:  Ralph Boyes;  Blacksmith:  Robert Huddlestone

Farmers:  William Grayson Low Bottoms;  George Hill;  Richard Jackson freeholder Rook Barugh;  William Seamer Low Bottoms;  William & George Skelton Low Bottoms;  John Smith Normanby Bridge;  William Strickland Lance Butts;  William Smith Wormald freeholder.

Sun:  Anthony Hill;  Gardener & Seedsman:  Richard Agar;  Butcher:  John Sanderson;  Horse Dealer:  William Wastell;  Tailor & Draper:  Richard Ellerker.

.

.

1879

NORMANBY, Letters received from York, via Kirby Moorside; the latter is the nearest money order office.

Population:...

Rector: Rev. James Hill M.A. J.P. *(Not same as 1840);  Henry Coverdale, Normanby Hill;  John Harrison;  Francis Huddlestone;  John Huddlestone.

Parish Clerk:  Robert Underwood;  School Mistress:  Miss Alice Pybus;  Sun:  George Sanderson;  Shopkeeper:  Ralph Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton

Farmers:  William Grayson Low Bottoms;  Wm. Benton Rook Barugh;  John Dodds Normanby Lodge low Bottoms;  William Grayson Low Bottoms;  Joseph Shepard Low Bottoms;  George Skelton Low Bottoms;  John Wood & landowner Normanby Bridge;  Emanuel Strickland Lance Butts;  Christopher Wood East Field;  Thos. Coverdale Normanby Hill.

Cow keepers:  Ralph Boyes;  Joseph Clark;  John Eccles;  Robert Underwood;  Robert Walton;  Carter:  John Gill.

Farm Bailiff: to Mr. Strickland of Southfield, George Jackson.

.

.

1890

NORMANBY, Postal Address, Normanby, Kirbymoorside, R.S.O., Yorks.

Foot messenger arrives from Kirbymoorside about 9.30a.m. Box collection at 2-30p.p.m., Money Order and Telegraph Office at Kirbymoorside.

Population.......

Rector:  Rev. James Hill M.A. J.P. *(Not same as 1840);  Henry Coverdale, Normanby Hill;  John Harrison;  Francis Huddlestone;  John Huddlestone.

Parish Clerk:  Robt. Underwood;  School Mistress:  Miss Eliz. Annie Smorthwaite; 

Sun Inn:  Thomas Sleightholme & owner of steam thrashing machines.

Commercial:

Grocer:  Ralph Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton &c.

Farmers:  James Frank Low Bottoms;  William Benton Rook Barugh;  John Dodds Normanby Lodge;  Robert Marton Low Bottoms;  William Wood Bridge;  William Hornby Lance Butts;  William Strickland Westfield house;  Thomas Scoby Normanby Hill.

.

.

1905

NORMANBY is a parish, township and village on the high road from Kirby Moorside to Malton, and on the western bank of the river Seven, 6 miles north from Amotherby station on the North Eastern railway, 2½ from Sinnington station on the Gilling and Pickering branch, 6 south- West from Pickering, 5 south-east from Kirby Moorside and 9 north-west from Malton, in the Whitby division of the Riding, rural deanery of Helmsley, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York. The church of St. Andrews is a plain edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western gable containing 2 bells: the church was in a great part rebuilt in 1718, but still retains traces of Early Norman work.: it was thoroughly restored in 1895, at a cost of £1,270, and a new organ was presented by Mark Mayher esq. of Putney Heath, in 1899: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1699. the living is a rectory, net yearly value £322, with residence and 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1897 by the Rev. Edward Harley Molineux Jackson, of St Bees. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The principal landowners are Sir George Everard Arthur Cayley bart. Of High Hall, Brompton; Augustus Gerald Duncombe, William Wood and W. Muzeen, of Hutton-Le-Hole. The soil is clayey and loamy; the sub soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area of the township is 1781 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £1900; the population in 1901 was 156 in the township and 188 in the parish.

Population: 188

Rector:  Rev. Edward Harley Molineux Jackson of St Bees;  Mrs Huddlestone;  William Marshall.

School Mistress:  Miss Mary Stowell Public Elementary School for 45, average 22 children.  Lords of the Manor:  George & Thomas Grayson

Commercial:

Sun Inn:  Mrs Mary Sleightholme & thrashing machines  proprietorShopkeeper:  Misses Hannah & Mary J Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton.

Farmers:  Robert Brainbridge;  Robert Barker Low Bottoms;  Wm. Benton Rook Barugh;  Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  Simpson Dodds The Grange;  William Grayson Manor House;  William Hornby;  Robert Marton The Rise;  William Wood & landowner Normanby Bridge;  John Strickland West Field; Henry Dobson.

.

.

1913

NORMANBY the population in 1911 was 141 in the township and 167 in the parish.

Post Office: - Miss Mary Jane Boyes, Sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Sinnington, Yorks, at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched 4.45 p.m.; no Sunday mail. Sinnington 3 miles distant is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Population: 167

Rector:  Rev. Edward Harley Molineux Jackson of St Bees

School Mistress:  Miss Mary Stowell Public Elementary School for 34, average 32 children

Commercial:

Sun Inn:  Mrs Mary Sleightholme;  Shopkeeper & Post Office:  Misses Hannah & Mary J Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:  Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton;  Cycle Dealer:  Tom Ware.

Farmers:  Alfred Benton Rook Barugh;  John Cross Low Bottoms;  Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  Simpson Dodds The Grange;  Robert Marton The Rise;  Wm. Wood Normanby Bridge;  William Wood Manor House;  William Wood Hill Farm;  John Strickland West Field;  Robert Ruston Lance Butts;  Henry Dobson.

.

.

1921

NORMANBY the area of the township is 1781 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £2019; the population in 1911 was 141 in the township and 167 in the parish.

Post Office: - Miss Mary Jane Boyes, Sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Sinnington, Yorks, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Population: 167

Rector:  Rev. Edward Harley Molineux Jackson of St Bees;  William Wood.

School Mistress:  Miss Mary Stowell Public Elementary School for 34.

Commercial

Sun Inn:  Mrs Mary Sleightholme ;  Shopkeeper & Post Office:  Misses Hannah & Mary J Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:   Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton;  Farm Bailiff:  Robert Tanton to Capt. John Robert Renwick.

Farmers:  Alfred Benton Rookbarugh;  Robert Hardwick Low Bottoms;  Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  Sidney Dodds The Grange;  John Robert Renwick;  Normanby Bridge;  William Wood Manor House;  William Wood Hill Farm;  Wilfred Rivis West Field;  Robert Ruston Lance Butts  Thomas E Dobson.

.

.

1925

NORMANBY: - the area of the township is 1781 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £2020; the population of the township in 1921 was 143, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911, 167.

Post Office; - Miss Mary Jane Boyes sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Sinnington, Yorks, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Population: 168

Rector: Rev.   Edward Harley Molineux Jackson of St Bees;  William Wood

School Mistress:  Miss Mary Stowell Public Elementary School for 34.

Commercial:

Sun Inn:  Mr George R Sleightholme ;  Shopkeeper & Post Office:  Misses Hannah & Mary J  Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:  Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton.

Farmers:  Alfred Benton Rookbarugh;  Robert Hardwick Low Bottoms;  Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  Sidney Dodds The Grange;  Ralph W Lee Normanby Bridge;  William Wood Manor House;  William Wood Hill Farm;  Wilfred Rivis West Field;  Albert Jackson Lance Butts;  Thomas E Dobson.

.

.

1929

NORMANBY is a parish, township and village on the high road from Kirby Moorside to Malton, and on the western bank of the river Seven, 6 miles north from Amotherby station on the North Eastern railway, 2½ from Sinnington station on the Gilling and Pickering branch, 6 south-West from Pickering, 5 south-east from Kirby Moorside and 9 north-west from Malton, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Ryedale wapentake and petty sessions division. Kirby Moorside Union, county court district of Helmsley, rural deanery of Helmsley, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York. The church of St. Andrews is a plain edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western gable containing 2 bells: the church was in a great part rebuilt in 1718, but still retains traces of Early Norman work.: it was thoroughly restored in 1895, at a cost of £1,270, and a new organ was presented by Mark Mayher esq. of Putney Heath, in 1899: there are 115 sittings. The register dates from the year 1699. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of Mrs Jackson and held since 1927 by the Rev. John Edward Jackson M.A. of St John’s College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The principal landowner is Augustus Gerald Duncombe J.P. The soil is clayey and loamy; the sub soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area of the township is 1781 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1921 was 143 in the township and in the ecclesiastical parish 162.

Post office, Letters from Sinnington, York, which is the nearest M.O. & T. office.

THORNTON RISEBOROUGH, or Riseborough, is a township in the parish of Normanby, on the eastern bank of the river Seven. There are charities of £5 yearly value for educational purposes. Riseborough Hall is the property of Mrs G. W. Tweedie. The soil is deep loam; the subsoil, clay, and in some parts gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley and pasture land. The area is 604 acres; the population in 1921 was 19.

* Letters; received from Pickering.

Population: 162

Rector:  Rev. John Edward Norman Jackson M.A.;  Parish Clerk:  Thomas Henry Foxton;  Samuel Sugden Lockwood J.P. Normanby Hill; 

Commercial

Sun Inn:  Mr George R Sleightholme;  Shopkeepers & Post Office:  Misses Hannah & Mary J Boyes;  Blacksmith:  John Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:  Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton.  Cowkeeper:  Thos. Hy. Foxton;  Smallholder:  Jn. Wm. Hornby;  Farm Bailiff:  Thos Flintoff, to A. Kitching.

Farmers:  Alfred Benton Rookbarugh;  *Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  *Sidney Dodds The Grange;  Hy. Armitage Normanby Bridge;  *Hy. Dobson East Field;  *A. Kitching Normanby Manor;  Albert Jackson Lance Butts;  Wilfred P. Rivis West Field;  *Dennis Rt. Marton Rise Farm.; 

RISEBOROUGH:  *George Wynne Tweedie Riseborough Hall;  Geo. Rt. Marton, Thompson & Bullock Hall Farm.

Marked thus * Letters; through Pickering.

.

.

1931

NORMANBY: - Marked thus * letters through Kirby Misperton, Malton. Normanby Manor, letters through Pickering.

Population: 168

Rector: Rev.  Marmaduke Fredk. Thos. Swalwell B.A.;  Parish Clerk:  Thomas Foxton;  Samuel Sugden Lockwood J.P.

Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over.

Farmers:  *Wm. Bentley Eastfield;  ºAlfred Benton Rookbarugh;  *Alfd. Dodds Normanby Lodge;  *Sidney Dodds The Grange;  º Jsph. Patmore Normanby Bridge;  A. Kitching Normanby Manor;  ºS.S. Lockwood J.P. Hill Top & Lance Butts;  Jn Cossey West Field;  *Dennis Rt. Marton Rise Farm.

Commercial

Sun Inn:  Mr George R Sleightholme;  Grocer & Post Office:  Albt. Thos. Sleightholme;  Shopkeeper:  J. & M.H. Frank, Vine ho.  Blacksmith:  John & Thos. Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:  Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton;  Smallholder:  Jn. Wm. Hornby;  Cowkeeper:  Thos. Foxton; 

Farm Bailiff:  Thos Flintoff, to A. Kitching.

.

.

1937

NORMANBY: - the area of the township is 1781 acres of land and 5 of water; the population of the township in 1931 was 150, and the ecclesiastical parish, 168.  Post & Tel. call office. Letters from Sinnington, Yorks. Sinnington nearest M.O. & T. office.  Marked thus * letters through Kirby Misperton, Malton.  Normanby Manor, letters through Pickering.

Population: 168

Rector: Rev.  Marmaduke Fredk. Thos. Swalwell B.A.  Parish Clerk:  Thomas Foxton;  Samuel Sugden Lockwood J.P.; 

Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over.

Farmers:  *Wm. Bentley Eastfield,;  ºAlfred Benton Rookbarugh;  *Thos Bowes Normanby Lodge;  *Sidney Dodds The Grange;  º Jsph. Patmore Normanby Bridge;  A. Kitching Normanby  Manor;  ºS.S. Lockwood J.P. Hill Top & Lance Butts;  Thos. Cossey & sons West Field;  *Dennis Rt. Marton Rise Farm.

Commercial

Sun Inn:  Mr George R Sleightholme;  Grocer & Post Office:  Albt. Thos. Sleightholme;  Blacksmith:  John & Thos. Foxton;  Thrashing machine proprietor:  Albt. Sleightholme;  Tailor:  Arthur Thomas Foxton; riding breeches made to order;  Farm Bailiff:  Thos Flintoff, to A. Kitching;  Smallholder:  Jn. Wm. Hornby;  Cowkeeper:  Thos. Foxton.

 

  Top

Transcribed by Bernie   

               Home St Andrews Church Parish History Projects Genealogy Photographs News-&-Contacts

 

To the best of my knowledge I have not infringed any copyright laws regarding any text or graphics contained within this web site.  Should any organisation or individual have reason to believe an infringement has taken place and can substantiate the fact, I will endeavour to rectify immediately.

 Website created, supported and maintained by Bernie Frank 

Copyright © 2017 (Please note all images have a digital tag)
Last updated : 16 January 2017